Monday, June 11, 2012

A bite at b.b's

Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE to find awesome new restaurants. So, when business conveniently brought me to Jacksonville last week, my boyfriend and I decided to make the most of my extra time and go exploring downtown.

Aside from working at the WJCT studio on the outskirts near the stadium, I had never been to Downtown Jacksonville so I didn't know what to expect. As adventurous as we are, Sean & I still made 8pm reservations for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse just incase our search ended badly- I'm hypoglycemic, so our adventures have to have certain precautions...I'm not very pleasant when I'm hungry! After driving around downtown for a few minutes we soon realized it was no downtown Orlando. We saw a place called Jacksonville Landing right on the riverfront so we decided to walk around there and see what we found. Awesome location, awfully dated. It had a boardwalk vibe and was probably an awesome place 20 years ago, now not so much. So we picked a restaurant on the upper floor and sat outside right on the water, after glancing at the menu we realized that this place was not what we were looking for and we weren't ready to settle just yet! So we paid for Sean's coke and headed back to the car, pretty hungry at this point! We weren't ready to give up just yet so we jumped over the bridge to check out the "other side" of downtown inching our way closer to Ruth's Chris. We were just about ready to head over to our reservation when we passed this really cool looking building seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Image from www.bbsrestaurant.com
View from the street
From my iPhone- view from the parking lot, love the vine covered wall!

Sean whipped the car around and we pulled into b.b's bar & restaurant, "a groovy place to b.", to check it out, a quick glance at the parking lot showed a BMW and a few Mercedes' among other cars and I'll be the first to admit I stereotyped this as a good sign! Since we really couldn't tell what kind of food this place had from the outside, we pulled out our handed dandy iPhones to check out the menu.
With menu items such as: 
  • Stuffed mozzarella bruschetta baked in sourdough with marinated tomato, pinenuts & fresh basil
  • Papardelle pasta with grilled chicken, sauteed shrimp, baby spinach, snow peas, sweet yellow pepper sauce and crumbled feta cheese
  • White truffle pizza,wild mushrooms, shaved parmigiano, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto ham and arugula
  • crispy crabcake sandwich, focaccia, roasted tomato remoulade and napa cabbage-peanut slaw

We had a hard time choosing! But I finally settled on the tmb pizza with marinated tomatoes, roasted garlic, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil, YUM.
Halfway through before sean told me "you need to blog this!"
Sean was more than happy with his choice of the bistro steak sandwich with beef tenderloin, caramelized onion, brie, arugula, tomatoes & pommery mustard sauce on ciabatta bread- that's a mouthful to say! 
Hardly snapped a pic of Sean's in time!
Almost forgot until I added this picture- not only was Sean's sandwich amazing, but the FRIES were AWESOME. freshly made they were seasoned to absolute perfection and appeared to have also been baked with a light coating of cheeses. I didn't mention much about the pizza, but oh my God, the crust was to DIE for. The crust can really make or break any pizza.

The ambiance of the whole inside was awesome, modern, cozy and BUSY. The service declined as the night went on and as tables filled up, at one point we were actually told to get up and go look at the dessert case when asked what desserts were available. This rubbed me the wrong way a bit, since I saw that this was not the norm as many other tables were having desserts brought out to them without having moved a muscle. But we got up and picked out a chocolate truffle cheesecake, it was good, but not great and did last for 3 nights worth of dessert! 

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place to any one! Sean and I have already decided that we have to go back! The food was THAT good.  We noticed a lot of people walking in from the sidewalk, obviously from the high rise condos nearby so it's obviously already a hit with the locals. The pricing wasn't all that bad, for dessert both of our dinners and a few drinks we spent about $45.

Check out their full menu & picture here: b.b's bar & restaurant



No comments:

Post a Comment